Monday, 31 March 2014

Time management ... is there any easy way?

So my dear blog followers... for those of you who follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you may have noticed I have been a lot quieter over the past week or two, with just the occasional post to report in on my activities.



My blog has also been sadly neglected.

Why? I must implement some better time management skills. The last two weeks have been crazy...deadlines looming for contracted books, edits coming in and book proposals due to my editor.
I also have a lovely reading list waiting for me to prepare for the writing workshop I am going to in Italy in the northern summer, including the latest Eloisa James book.


So there has been little time for the joy of chatting and browsing social media.



I made a list today of all the tasks I have lined up for the next two months and guess what I wanted to do... But never being one to give up I decided to procrastinate just a wee while longer and research some time management tips and I will share the top three tips below!


#1. Focus on importance. Prioritise.

So the first tip I found...The secret to mastering your time is to systematically focus on importance and suppress urgency.  As one author friend said to me recently focus on the task that will have the most impact on your writing career. 

#2. Say no

The second one...learn to say no... 
Life hacker's Jedi time tricks says...Most of us follow an implicit social contract: when someone asks you to do something you almost always say yes. It may feel very noble, but don't forget there's a dying princess you need to save, and you just agreed to slow yourself down because you were asked nicely.

#3. Turn off the router...and the phone...and the iPad

The evils of social media....shiver. So why do we love social media? An author's life can be a very lonely one. We spend a lot of time alone talking to our characters and solving their problems. We love to know what's going on. We love to see what other people are reading/writing/sating/joking about/looking at etc etc etc.
I can remember a well known Australian romance author, Marion Lennox, speaking at a conference and giving advice on quality writing time. She has a separate computer for writing which has no internet connection. A great idea!


And if all else fails... turn to the one liners...at least have a love before you dive beneath the covers
1. It is astonishing how long it takes to finish something you are not working on.

2. W.C Fields said If at first you don't succeed try, try again. Then quit. There's no point being a damn fool about it.

My solution would be to indulge in some time travel...a nice little set of standing stones n the back garden where I could slip back and forward in time to meet my deadlines, like my heroines.
Megan in Hot Rock  and Indigo in Winter of the Passion Flower  and Sofia in Summer of the Moon Flower 


all had it figured out and they won their sexy heroes to boot!



Okay, okay, I know. So time travel probably won't work.


 I need some more ideas... leave me a comment below. The best and funniest time management tip will each win a copy of one of my time travel books.
Now I'm off to check on Facebook...oops I mean...I'm off to write. I do have a deadline... or two...or three.